Thursday 9 October 2014

The taking down of Linda Ikeji’s Blog

The taking down of Linda Ikeji’s Blog has created some sort concern in me. It’s rather disheartening to hear of such thing.

Did she actually plagiarize? If yes, then a lot of other bloggers and news agencies are equally guilty of same.

Is there really anything like exclusivity when it comes to news reportage? I beg to disagree on this- what you publish is what you hear from someone, who could be termed the original owner.

Exclusivity really comes to play when it comes to intellectual property- poetry, articles etc.

So how did Linda Ikeji commit plagiarism? Most contents of her blog are news items (entertainment and otherwise), and I still wonder how she fell a victim here. Most likely, this is a case of witch-hunt.

She had tried to run away from plagiarism, but I think she was looking in the wrong direction. And her jealous competitors struck from behind- I sent her an article some weeks ago for publication. I did this because her blog already enjoys huge traffic, compared to mine, which is new. She never published, neither did she respond to my mail- I don’t hold this against her in any way.

Plagiarism is a colossal crime, but the Nigerian situation has given room for such crimes to thrive all along.

Looking at the situation at hand, I strongly believe that giving credits to sources of news items on your blog or website is enough to take away plagiarism, while there needs to be permission before republishing items like poetry, articles etc.

If Linda Ikeji actually breached such, then she is actually guilty. And looking at the length of time this duel actually, I think there was enough time for correction. Just maybe she wasn’t given enough time after the notification from Google.

Google has taken down my blog once- it was attributed to a video I posted on Youtube. I guess the video was misinterpreted by many viewers, but it was posted for the purpose of educating young parents on child molestation.

Google sent me a notice by mid-morning, and my account was terminated by evening of the same day before I even had the time to respond to the notice.

To me, I think that decision was harsh and sudden. Would it not have been fair for Google to just take down the video?

For bloggers on the Google platform, I will advise caution- while you are avoiding plagiarism, don’t ever link your blogger email to Youtube. You don’t know which video will pull you down.

Pulling down an entire blog could leave the blog owner depressed- it’s tantamount to setting ablaze the consignments of a businessman, which he has spent years trying to procure.

©Mondayspeaks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know your thought about this post.

DISCLAIMER:

Comments are the sole opinions of readers, and do not in any way reflect the views of Sapphiretalks